All in the family. [Transient Art]

A couple of days ago, I had the opportunity for a "boys" day out. Since my wife and daughter had their own plans for the day I decided to take my two boys to Hammonasset State Park in Madison. It's one of our summer "frequents".


After a bit of swimming we decided to meander along the East side (Meigs Point) where the remnants of the great "glacier" left boulders and stones of every size making it look like a scene from another world and a guys absolute playground!


All of my family are "artists" in their own right and since we're not ones to be idle, we decided to leave our creative mark for passers by to enjoy. We refer to it as "transient art".


Here's a few images of what we came up with:

Balancing rocks like these takes a lot of patience and determination!

Not only did we do very large sculptures, my sons did "micro" ones as well. This piece stands roughly 5 inches tall.


Close up of "Flip Flop Rock".
"Flip Flop Rock" was a collaboration. One of my sons found a stray flipflop and decided it would be a perfect "topper". The boulder stands alone on the edge of the shoreline. When the tide comes in roughly 3/4 of the rock will be covered. Each phase of the tide creates a new and unique work of art as it changes the figure of the boulder.


Comments

Popular Posts