Metamorphosis

I had been "sitting" on this image for about a year, applying different techniques & textures to the single image. I have several incarnations which I really like but I wanted to tell a bit more of a story than just one single image could. Up until recently I didn't have any images of butterflies which would complete my vision for this film. But as it happened,  we went to a recent home show in Hartford and came across an amazing butterfly display. 
So, I shot a bunch and picked out the best to integrate into my animation.


It took a great amount of time to produce this animation (albeit short) from shooting, to individually processing and hand animating each of the 188 frames. Now, 188 frames does not sound like a lot, but let me tell you it is! The music presented another "lengthy" process. The most time consuming part of this was choosing one of two short pieces I composed (both of which I liked very much, and set completely different moods). I solved my procrastination and indecisiveness the only way I knew how... A family vote. 


In order to grow as photographers and artists, Lori and I need to constantly challenge and update our skills as well as our way of thinking about our studio. I mean, what fun is doing the same exact thing over and over? The creation of "Metamorphosis" was a fantastic learning process and certainly gave me a new respect for any type of animation long or short!


Please enjoy "Metamorphosis".

Comments

Popular Posts